Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Walk Quietly and You Never Know What You Might See

It's just over a year ago that I moved here. A year spent exploring a few places. Like the big park near by. Tualatin Hills Nature Park.


Tualatin Hills Nature Park 4-13-13 6

I walk quietly and often slowly. Because more than once during this last year I have encountered these little guys. If you don't pay attention they can get squashed. Which is a sad thing.

Tualatin Hills Nature Park 4-13-13 7

Rough Skinned Newts are neat little amphibians. They will hold still till you are out of the way. Which makes for good photo taking. I've also seen one swimming in the Lily Pond. So stopping and really looking paid out.

I've seen a few other animals and many birds over the year. I could not count how many snakes and squirrels. Good variety of birds. Rarer was the vole I saw scuttling through the underbrush. And of course the Copyu couple who live by the Big Pond. But the one creature I really wanted to see was keeping out of sight.

Tualatin Hills Nature Park 4-13-13 9

What was funny is that despite all my back trail wanderings I finally saw a deer right by the main trail.

Tualatin Hills Nature Park 4-13-13 8

Despite me being right by it and a group of people just down the trail it kept grazing. Probably because we were all keeping rather quiet.

Tualatin Hills Nature Park 4-13-13 10

Till someone less quiet came along and the deer decided time to leave. So if you want to see wildlife out there, walk slowly and quietly. Because you don't know what you might see.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! I missed this gem. Just as well I scrolled back.

    Beautiful! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I need to post more. Glad you liked this. The person at the nature park is using one of my photos for the flyer for their class on animal tracks. Nice to give back for being able to enjoy this nature park.

      Delete
  2. Love those photos!

    I agree with you! Walk quietly and you never know what you'll see. Hurrying everywhere will make you miss a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lina! Yup, sometimes it's worth it to slow down and see what is around us.

      Delete