Sunday, January 20, 2013

Julie Dreams of Sushi

unagi don 1-16-13

Yes I know that isn't sushi but it is unagi on rice. Better known as an unagi don. Which I would have never tried if it wasn't for knowing a super good sushi chef by the name of Aki.

Aki retired not long after I moved out of the area. Which makes me a little less sad for moving because I miss the good places I use to eat at. But at least I know unagi now and have an idea on how to cook it.

I finally watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" last night. I've known about this movie for a while and about Jiro's sushi restaurant. But to watch the movie is more than just about a restaurant with good sushi.

It's actually about just trying to do your best at whatever you are doing. While I doubt I will ever reach my best at anything, nor will I ever just want to do one thing, I do think the idea of trying to do well at what you do is not a bad one. Even if it's just sweeping the floor. Doesn't mean you have to dedicate your life to it, just if you work on doing your best you may feel better about what you are doing and try to do even more.

Well, I have been not posting blogs or many of my photos of the last year. Even if things aren't great, I am going to work on this. Will see how it goes.

Just to note, I don't dream of sushi but I do love it. Maybe I should start a "Julie Loves Sushi" project of some kind? I'm also open to invitations to Jiro's....

2 comments:

  1. You are herewith invited to Jiro's when you return to Tokyo. I've never been inside - just walked past - but I'm pretty sure I'll find it again.

    I have mixed feelings about that movie: I can't quite decide whether I admire such dedication or whether I want to tell him that, really, there's more to life than sushi. Like ... chocolate? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm speechless! That would be beyond awesome. You have no idea. I was going to write すごい! but that doesn't even come close. If you are serious about this I am serious about it. Now I have to start saving up!

      As for finding it, well, it's just off of Harumi Dori and the Tokyo Expressway and a few Ginza station exits. See I have Google maps access in my brain...well it's hard to explain but as long as there are landmarks and I have an idea of what direction I am facing I am fairly decent at finding things. Must be descended from people who traveled a lot. However it's your turf so I am sure you can find it with no problems.

      I think Jiro did not have much to live for in his life when he was young, so he put his all into his work. It's funny how his parents left him nothing but he is leaving so much for his sons. I think by showing Yoshikazu's interest in fast cars and more it does speak to the idea that there can be more in life. I guess the point is about finding happiness and Jiro found his in making the best sushi he could make. The feeling I got was this was about doing your best no matter what you were doing.

      Considering everything is impermanent, we should not get hung up on how something might not be what we want. Sure we can work for something better and should, but while we are doing whatever it is, try to do the best we can.

      Funny how I got so much out of a documentary about a sushi chef. But then, that is sushi. And chocolate? That's tomorrow. Or later today depending on one's time zone.

      Delete