Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

We are the Earthquake Generation (March 20th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-20 187

One last look at Hama Rikyu Garden. We may not have a castle that the Shogun lived in, but we still can see a bit of how they lived and relaxed. There is so much more to this garden than what I saw. A tea house on a pond, horse riding grounds and duck hunting areas are just part of what was the Shogun's life in this garden.

Tokyo 3-20 188

Looking the opposite way we see modern Tokyo and a bit of the bubble past with Nakagin Capsule Tower.

Tokyo 3-20 189

Heading back to the train station I see Lawson. Oh for the wonderful Japanese konbini! Bento is secured for dinner. Sure it was scary for people in Japan when the shelves were bare but imagine arriving for a trip and not having any food at all? It wasn't like I had a kitchen with a few things in a pantry. So for me, an open konbini with food was the best thing to see. Even after having been here for almost ten days after the earthquake.

Tokyo 3-20 190

Walking towards the station I realized I was right at someplace rather important and on any other day I could have just eaten here. In fact, probably would have had some awesome sushi. Want to see?



Tokyo 3-20 191

But sadly the Earthquake Generation was telling people to stop visiting.
I don't think they meant it quite that way...

Tokyo 3-20 192

Yup, Tsukiji Fish Market was closed. I finally made it there and once again another place was not to be experienced. This was a very sad trip.

Tokyo 3-20 193

I did get to see the map of where everything goes on when it's open.

Tokyo 3-20 194

But without the hustle and bustle of world's largest wholesale market it was just another bunch of warehouses and parked trucks.

Tokyo 3-20 195


Tokyo 3-20 196

Tokyo 3-20 197

I still feel the pain of so much loss that happened there and how difficult it was for everyone there. Just really still is disappointing to spend so much money and effort on a much anticipated trip and end up with the worst trip of my life. It's sad to post all this here and have no comments at all. It's sad to see people clamor for free trips to Japan as the country tries to regain it's status as a safe place to visit and yet I get nothing to make up for having to deal with no food and all. No one asks me about it even though I was there and stayed in Tokyo while Fukushima Dai-ichi was blowing up. I see people getting stories published about their feelings about it and they weren't even there.

I really hope those who are still suffering in the Tohoku area are able to recover. There is so much they lost that they will never get back. It's a travesty that more is not being done for those in the Fukushima area since their loss is due to TEPCO's failures. Why not more is being done is a shame. No one is accepting blame, no one has stepped up to take responsibility when they should. Nothing has changed, it's still an inept bunch of managers who do not have a clue about what to do. The fact that they couldn't even think to blanket water pipes when the weather always gets cold is just one of many mistakes they keep making. These people should not be allowed to make any more decisions regarding anything nuclear let alone be allowed to ever run a company again. They failed and they are not paying for their failure.

Excuse me for expressing a bit of my feelings. I haven't really done so on my blog and will probably regret doing it now. But it was a very difficult trip with no way to come home unless I wanted to pay thousands of dollars which I would not be refunded for. So I stayed and dealt with having to find food, dealing with no decent information many times and not knowing if I was also being radiated to the point where my health and life span would be affected. A trip to one of the most enjoyable places in the world turned into a very sad and depressing twelve days on my own.

There will be a few more posts of the small things I saw which became the more meaningful moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment