Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, January 9, 2012

Nakagin Capsule Tower (March 20th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-20 6

I had heard about and seen photos of the Nakagin Capsule Tower but I decided I wanted to see it for myself.

Tokyo 3-20 7

Completed in 1972 it's one of the first building to use the idea of capsules. You could say it's the grand daddy of all those capsule hotels.

Tokyo 3-20 9

It was designed by Kisho Kurokawa, co-founder of the Metabolist Movement in architecture and known for many buildings throughout Japan and elsewhere. Curious to know more about this interesting building?




Tokyo 3-20 10

Nakagin Capsule Tower is actually two towers that are connected. Each capsule is actually only connected to the towers by four bolts and can be replaced but none have been. They can also be connected together.

Tokyo 3-20 11

There is some office space but the majority of the building is apartments. I wish they had one that people could go in and see. Seems that people are still living here.

Tokyo 3-20 12

There was talk of tearing it all down but Kurokawa suggested they design updated capsules and replace the older ones instead. Many people are against tearing it down but then the property value and land use is another concern. To me though, it seems something that keeps the intention and design of this building intact is important.

Tokyo 3-20 13

So just enjoy these photos of this very inventive building.

Tokyo 3-20 14

Tokyo 3-20 15

Tokyo 3-20 16

Tokyo 3-20 17

Tokyo 3-20 18

Tokyo 3-20 19

I'm really glad I got a chance to see this Capsule Tower, especially if they do change it. I wish I could have seen more of the inventive architecture that is in different parts of Tokyo. This however was outstanding and worth seeing. I think more people would check it out if they knew how close it is to two different popular Tokyo landmarks. I'll show you those in my next couple of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment