Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Toto we aren't on Melrose any more (March 19th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-19 23

I have to say, if you want to see interesting architecture in Tokyo, Omotesando Dori (street) in Minami Aoyama, Tokyo definitely is a place to go. I saw this building after leaving the shrine and went "Wow!"

Tokyo 3-19 24

Even more of a surprise is that it's the Comme des Garcon store! The curvy building was designed by Future Systems. The polka dot blue glass definitely feels like it has Rei Kawakubo's influence.

Tokyo 3-19 25

I so wanted to go in. But I felt really self-conscious because there weren't other shoppers around. I like to not have all the sales people wanting to help me. I'm a browser. So I passed on going in. If I am ever back here...I want to check the store out and the Yohji Yamamoto shop. If only my feet weren't hurting so much!

Tokyo 3-19 26

Wondering what this amazing building is?



Tokyo 3-19 27

If you think about it, this quilted glass building fits with being a store for a famous design label. It's the Prada "epicenter" store designed by Herzog and de Meuron in 2003.

Tokyo 3-19 28

The curved glass diamonds really soften the building.

Tokyo 3-19 29

Even when the stores are being refurbished they try to go classy.

Tokyo 3-19 30


This building was designed by Jun Mitsui and Associates and the linear pieces go up a number of stories. It was here I realized I was going the wrong way. Go me for being able to read Japanese street addresses when I can find them.

Tokyo 3-19 34

Made my poor feet turn around and ended back in this area with narrow streets. After those big impressive buildings it seemed a bit secluded for international designers to have shops here. But then again, Tokyo real estate is not cheap. 

Tokyo 3-19 32

Luckily I had figured out the right way to go and made it to the Vivienne Westwood shop! The cardboard figures in the window are actually reflections from across the way.

It was an interesting experience. I was probably one of the few customers they had in days. I received a lot of attention and ended paying more for a ring than I should have (it's actually less expensive at the VW website now but I couldn't tell then because it was just put out.) But I love my ring and what it represents to me in all that happened on this trip.

Tokyo 3-19 33

I also went into the Sabon shop next door and bought a few gifts and a nice bath bomb. Seriously, one of the best things about where I was staying is the nice big bath tubs. Bath bombs make it all the better.

Tokyo 3-19 35

Just a few photos of some of the interesting architectural details.

Tokyo 3-19 36

This store, which was called The Contemporary Fix, was having a pop-up shop for Facetasm. From what I could gather, the clothing was geared towards young edgy guys with a bit of athletic flair. It was good to see there were a lot of people going in to take part.

Tokyo 3-19 31

The intersection of Aoyama and Omotesando Dori in Shibuya. Still not a lot of traffic for the middle of the day.

Tokyo 3-19 37

I'm not sure what this building on Aoyama Dori is but it was also very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment