Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, December 12, 2011

Nijubashi Bridges (Tokyo, March 17th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-17 72

I will tell you something that a lot of people don't point out when they post photos of this. That there are two bridges. Nijubashi means double bridge.

Tokyo 3-17 73

From where most people stand to take photos you see the front bridge. I am going to guess this one is the Imperial Palace Main Gate Stone Bridge which is also known as Meganebashi or Spectacle Bridge. Want to find out a bit more?



Tokyo 3-17 74

In this photo and the one above you can see a little bit of the second bridge above the front bridge. The name of the second bridge I am guessing is the Imperial Palace Main Iron Bridge.

Tokyo 3-17 75

Tokyo 3-17 76

The wonderful building at the top of the walls is Fushimi Yagura. The name comes from the fact that the building was taken from the rebuilt Fushimi Castle back in 1623 when Fushimi was finally torn down.

Tokyo 3-17 77

Tokyo 3-17 78

Tokyo 3-17 79

My visit to the Imperial Palace grounds was quite unusual in that there was no one around except a few police, two other tourists, and the people who were working inside. Like Meiji Shrine, it too was vacant of all the people who normally go there. For me it was difficult because I had flown all the way to Tokyo and it wasn't easy to just leave since a lot of people were trying to do that. It was difficult because people were needing help in the North but not much one could do at that time because Fukushima Dai-ichi was critical. After seeing people smile when they saw me, I felt staying was the one thing I could do. Stay and put a tiny bit of money into the economy. Stay and show that not everyone was running away, to show I had confidence in the Japanese people. It was not easy but I felt I did the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment