Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Flowers above and Oedo below (March 19th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-19 1

One of the things I really like about the part of Minato that I stayed at is the fact that many people like to have pots of flowers and trees around their places even though everything is very much concrete, glass and steel.

Tokyo 3-19 2

Tokyo 3-19 3

The most hearting thing I saw was this little sakura starting to bloom. Sakura was late this year but to see this pretty tree felt like hope. Please keep looking at the post for more flowers and a bit about a rather interesting Tokyo subway.



Tokyo 3-19 4

Tokyo 3-19 5

Every time I saw this tree I would wish for hope for those up north.

Tokyo 3-19 6

Tokyo 3-19 7

Tokyo 3-19 8

Despite most of the local restaurants still being closed or only open short hours due to the lack of customers (this area has a high population of salary people who fill the eateries and bars at night), this one finally opened. It was good to see their banners waving in the breeze.

Tokyo 3-19 9

But I was not staying on the surface this day. Instead I went deep underground at Daimon Station.

Tokyo 3-19 10

I had a plan. Still contending with painful steps I was bound and determined to go to a place I had planned long before this trip. But about this signage. Daimon Station is rather convenient. It's near Hamamatsucho Station so one can go on many different lines. Another good thing is the Toei Asakusa Line goes through here. Part of the service on that line is the Airport Limited Express which goes all the way to Narita Airport! It takes a little longer than the services from Tokyo Station but is way more convenient from that part of Minato. At that time it cost about 1600 yen if I remember correctly. I did have lots of worries during my time in Tokyo that it might not be running because of the rolling blackouts.

Tokyo 3-19 11

But I was five stories underground just so I could get to where I wanted to go. On a subway that even had it's own anime. It felt a little strange to be underground when we were still having good sized aftershocks. But everything held up even with that 9.0 which is extremely impressive.

Tokyo 3-19 12

But I was taking a different train today. A subway called the Toei Oedo Line. The Oedo line is completely underground and because of that is probably the most humid subway I have ever been on.

Tokyo 3-19 13

The subway cars are smaller than most to fit in the narrower tunnels. It's very sleek looking. I'm glad I made an effort to take some photos of the subway. I miss the trains in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment