Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Meiji Shrine Wine (March 15th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-15 20

I wasn't surprised that Meiji Jingu would have ceremonial sake. I've seen this at other shrines and temples. I was surprised to see this row of casks of wine.

Tokyo 3-15 21

Considering how difficult it was to find alcohol in the stores after the earthquake, I couldn't help but wish just a little for a little of this to take with me. However, they were empty.

Tokyo 3-15 22

So where did all this wine come from?



Tokyo 3-15 23

The barrels were gifts to the Emperor Meiji from wineries in Bourgogne, France.

Tokyo 3-15 24

I'm wondering if his love of wine is now why Beaujolais Nouveau is so popular in Japan.

Tokyo 3-15 25

No matter what, this was an amusing surprise for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment