Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Friday, November 18, 2011

Food for Friday: Yes I ate this (Tokyo March 16th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-16 12

I wish I knew what the name of this izakaya. It's on Daiichi-Keihin in Shiba, Tokyo. But I kept seeing it and finally got up the nerve to go in for lunch since it was open on March 16th.

Tokyo 3-16 4

I was the only customer besides a small group of men at a table. Of course I forgot, they allow smoking and they were smoking. Will remember from now on.

Tokyo 3-16 3

A few of the specials on the wall. It actually wasn't that hard to order from the menu. A lot of restaurants will have photos if not also attempt English translations. It helped that I can read hiragana too. Want to see what I ordered?



Tokyo 3-16 5

I was a little nervous because I don't know quite what to expect. But hunger makes one try out new things. So I tried out this set meal. Miso soup, cold tofu and what I thought was salmon on rice.

Tokyo 3-16 7

The soup and tofu were quite good.

Tokyo 3-16 8

I also ordered a side of shrimp. This was really good. I should have ordered a beer to go with it. But it was early and I wanted to go explore after this.

Tokyo 3-16 6

So what was the deal with the salmon dish? It looked good.

Tokyo 3-16 9

What I didn't know is there was raw egg on it. Which I can deal with. I've yet to have any stomach problems eating in Japan. Including ice cream which in other countries doesn't do so well.

Tokyo 3-16 10

The other thing about this dish?Well the white mound was rather hot daikon topped with wasabi. The fish and rice were very tasty as long as I watched that mound of hotness. Very challenging but I did eat all of the fish and rice! And was proud to say I did it!

I've just submitted this to the November J-Festa. You can see more interesting dining experiences here.

1 comment:

  1. looks like a very interesting dish, I'd say that was a successful experiment.

    ReplyDelete