Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Meiji Shrine (March 15th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-15 8

I actually had a plan for the day. One I had wanted to do even before arriving in Japan this time. One expects that not everything will go perfect when traveling, but when major disasters reach the point of making you wonder each day if you are going to be evacuated, you kind of want something normal to happen. You want to have that vacation you planned on.

Tokyo 3-15 9

My first stop in the area was not shopping in Harajuku but the Meiji Shrine. I'd been to these torii before but we did not go in very far since there was much to see on that visit. This time my visit was to go in.



Tokyo 3-15 10

The wooden torii here are impressive. They are made of cypress and are some of the largest in japan. The tallest stands at 12 meters.

Tokyo 3-15 11

The chrysanthemum of the Imperial Seal stood out against the grey wood and grey sky.

Tokyo 3-15 12

Walking further into the deep woods of the forest planted around the shrine. It was striking how few people there were.

Tokyo 3-15 13

Tokyo 3-15 14

Tokyo 3-15 15

The forest was a quiet, contemplative place. I don't know if it's like this normally or if it was because of the lack of visitors. I will say that while walking through I was listening for birds. Hearing birds meant things must be okay for now.

Tokyo 3-15 16

Tokyo 3-15 17

Little streams run through the grounds. I can imagine on a sunnier day this must be quite lovely.

Tokyo 3-15 79

No comments:

Post a Comment