Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, October 31, 2011

Meiji Jingu (March 15th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-15 35

I reached the torii for the main shrine area. Almost stunning in how empty of people it is.

Tokyo 3-15 34

This is the cleansing font, Temizuya.

Tokyo 3-15 36

I think for tourists, this is a good shrine to visit if you want to learn a bit about how things are done at a Shinto shrine. Want to see more?



Tokyo 3-15 37

I did do a bit of Harae, which is cleansing my mouth and hands. It was easier here since there wasn't anyone to see if I made a mistake. I felt less self conscious. My feeling is that even if one doesn't believe, it's a way to show respect.

Tokyo 3-15 38

The main Torri here. I believe this is also cypress.

Tokyo 3-15 39

Beautiful outer walls. I am going to guess the roofs are copper due to the lovely green patina.

Tokyo 3-15 40

Tokyo 3-15 41

My next post will be going into to the main shrine areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment