Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, October 24, 2011

Harajuku Station (March 15th, 2011)

Tokyo 3-15 1

I will say, March 15th did not start off as a very good day. First off I has signed up for a cooking class that day with Elizabeth Andoh which I had been looking forward to for some time. But it was cancelled due to the disasters. I lost internet for a short time when an aftershock caused the cable to come loose from my computer. Meanwhile the news was showing another building blowing up at Fukushima Dai-ichi. I finally found the button for English translation on the tv and got the plug back into the computer. Not having any information about what one is seeing is not a good thing.

Having waited till the afternoon when things seem to have settled down, I knew I could not stay inside the small room. Watching the news and reading things on line and having to be calm for those back home was not enjoyable. I did find a professor who had a counter on-line and turned out the readings were not out of line for the Shibuya area. I needed something positive to do, so off I went.

Tokyo 3-15 2

Even though current events were very much on my mind the whole time, as it was for everyone there, I didn't go all the way to Japan just to sit in a hotel room the whole time. Knowing too there were others who needed the transportation out of Japan more than I did was a factor. I thought perhaps my staying and showing I believed in the Japanese people might mean more than running away in fear. Plus I knew even my little money spent while there would help.

Tokyo 3-15 3

So off to Hamamatsucho Station where the Manneken Pis still tinkled away in his fireman outfit. Rather fitting choice even though his outfit was changed prior to the earthquake. But the big question was, where was I going?



Tokyo 3-15 4

To the one place in Japan where I know I can find something pleasing.

Tokyo 3-15 7

Harajuku Station. A very non-busy Harajuku Station. Actually if it wasn't due to the disasters it would have been nice. Time on the clock shows me now I was out after the Fukushima Dai-ichi fall-out over Tokyo that was reported after the fact. Just a little reassuring.

Tokyo 3-15 5

Still colorful Takeshita Dori with way less people. Yet some did not let things stop them from their shopping. Perhaps the fact that the smaller shops being open lead more people to go to them? With the large stores all closed (I do see Forever21 was open), and people needing something good even for a second, it was reassuring people out and about.

Tokyo 3-15 6

No comments:

Post a Comment