Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Top of the hill (Shibamaruyama Kofun)

Tokyo 3-12 93

Going up is not too difficult. The slope is not steep and the scenery is nice. Really did make me feel like I wasn't in Tokyo, one of the most populous cities in the world.

Tokyo 3-12 94

On the way to the top I come across something interesting.


Tokyo 3-12 95

Turns out this tiger monument is most likely the one dedicated to an LDP politician. It appears newer than other objects on and around Shiba Maruyama.

Tokyo 3-12 96

I reach the highest part of the mound. Sadly parts of the mound have been removed over the year. Originally it was in a keyhole shape but construction around it has changed that shape a bit.

Tokyo 3-12 97

They did excavate a little on the top of the round part but did not find a tomb. Either it is much deeper or was removed when the top was taken off during the Edo period. At one time there was tea pavilion up here.

Tokyo 3-12 98

There are a couple monuments on the top of the kofun. I believe the one with the map of Japan is dedicated to Tadataka Ino, Edo surveyor, cartographer and maker of the first map of Japan.

Tokyo 3-12 99

This rock is so worn the kanji is not that visible.

Tokyo 3-12 100

The view towards Zojo-ji.

2 comments:

  1. GRIN! After your Google+ comment, I went Googling for tigers, and found this post.

    I've been here, but I could swear I never noticed a tiger. I'll have to go back! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's near the top on the trail that goes up by the Shinto Inari Shrine.

      I wonder if they are going to try to look into what is in this kofun since there is a lot of new technology being used with archaeology. It's a shame they don't try since it would give a lot of information for pre-Edo history.

      Delete