Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, August 22, 2011

Japan is broken (Tokyo Tower on March 12, 2011)

Tokyo 3-12 51

Tokyo Tower is a symbol of Japan. I never felt it more than I did that day, with the top bent. Something so tall, so strong, damaged.

Tokyo 3-12 52

Walking from Zojo-ji to Tokyo Tower takes one by the area of Shiba Park (Shiba-koen) which is know for replicating a beautiful little valley with trees that turn color in autumn. Would you like to see how it looked on that day?


Tokyo 3-12 54

I missed it on my trip in December so I wanted to make sure to see it.

Tokyo 3-12 53

Momijidani is suppose to have a 10 meter high waterfall and make you feel like you are in the mountains. Sadly I guess they have been working on it.

Tokyo 3-12 55

I think this was all done before the earthquake but I am sure it didn't help. Sad to see this like this.

Tokyo 3-12 56

I walk over to Tokyo Tower. There I see the memorial for the Sakhalin dogs who were left in Antarctica after the first Japanese expedition there.  They were left after a second expedition had to evacuate the first men out of there. On the return a year later, two of the dogs were still alive.

Tokyo 3-12 57

Of course I didn't think Tokyo Tower would be open. But seeing a sign like this was sad.

Tokyo 3-12 59

The rest of the tower appeared to be okay.

Tokyo 3-12 60

On my way over to the tower an older couple asked me if I was Russian. I said that I was Amerikajin. We looked at the tower together. Even with everything going on they were friendly. That is one thing that held true on my visit, strangers being kind, friendly to a person they did not know. I felt touched by it. It's as if the earthquake and everything knocked down walls.

Tokyo 3-12 58

But up at the top of the tower, it wasn't okay. So another planned event for my trip, going up Tokyo Tower, was not going to be either.

I'm going to try out the Skywatch posting site. So this has been submitted for Sept. 2. You can see lots of great photos here.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous sky shots, thanks for sharing!

    Sky watching on one fine afternoon, you visit will mean a lot. Have a safe weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good photos of Tokyo Tower.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chubskulit and Tatjana Parkacheva, thank you for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature can be very harsh, and destroy anything that is built by man.
    I really feel for those poor dogs, to leave them behind on Antarctica was heartless.
    Great photo's, I hope your next visit to Japan is a happier one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Jackie, that was sad about the dogs. Thank you for your comment and I hope so too!

    ReplyDelete