Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, August 29, 2011

Because it's there (Shibamaruyama Kofun)

Tokyo 3-12 84

I found out something interesting when I was looking up information about the places I had gone to while on my December trip.

Tokyo 3-12 85

That these steps in Shiba Park lead up to a hill. I knew that. I didn't know it was the largest burial mound in Tokyo. Of course I had to find out more and I had to go see it on my trip back. So here are photos from my visit there. There isn't much documentation in English on-line so you might find this interesting.


Tokyo 3-12 86

The path up rambles and is made of different materials in different places. Seeing all the differences was rather interesting. I don't know if it's because parts were made at different times or by different people or if it was intentional.

Tokyo 3-12 87

Of course walking up I couldn't help but think maybe I was a little crazy to be going up such a high hill while major aftershocks were still going on. But it was there, I wanted to see it, and so I continued up.

Tokyo 3-12 88

They believe this burial mound was created in the 4th or 5th century. At that time it would have been on a peninsula with the ocean right below it. They don't know who was buried there since excavation is not allowed. They have found terracotta figures and ceramics but these are thought to belong to small round tomb surrounding the mound.

Tokyo 3-12 89

Walking up from the east side from Zojo-ji I saw the Shinto Inari Shrine there.

Tokyo 3-12 90

An older couple were cleaning it. They smiled and motioned me to take a look.

Tokyo 3-12 91

I've read the god residing here has a nickname of "Follower". When they moved Zojo-ji to Edo, this Shinto god came with it, thus the nickname.

Tokyo 3-12 92

It's comforting to think there is a protector of this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment