Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Japanese crafts stores near Senso-ji in Asakusa

Asakusa 61

Parallel to Nakamise at Senso-ji is another street where I found items which were a little more traditional in Japanese crafts and other arts. Turning there from Senso-ji I saw this display of what appear to be shrines.

Asakusa 64

After this I saw shop after shop of wonderful crafts. Because it was December many displayed items for the coming Year of the Rabbit. So many cute and wonderful renditions of usagi. Want to see more?


Asakusa 65

The usagi with the phases of the moon was my favorite.

Asakusa 21

Asakusa 20

I wish I had bought one of these rabbit bells.

Asakusa 2

Many stores with traditional Japanese treats. The beginning of December is when many tree leaves change color like in the photos I posted previously of the ginkgo trees in Shiba Park. That is why some of the stores were decorated with vibrant colored leaves.

Asakusa 71

A wonderful little store with many traditional crafts. I bought most of my souvenirs here like a little wooden netsuke for my father. If you go to Asakusa and Senso-ji, it's worth it to walk along this side street to see the wonderful things for sale there.

I have created a map with this street and other locations I mention in my posts about Asakusa. You can see my Senso-ji map here.

5 comments:

  1. Did you buy lots there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rabbits especially because I was born in the year of Rabbit. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lina! I probably bought more than I should have. Lots of really nice items and I wanted to buy more. Another reason to go back yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much cool stuff. I love the one with the white rabbits and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is Eiko82! Amazing shopping in Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete