Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hozomon at Senso-ji in Asakusa

Asakusa 25

The second gate or sanmon you come to walking to Senso-ji in Asakusa is called Hozomon. The upper floors store the temple's sacred sutras.  It's interesting to know that in it's current form it is made of steel reinforced concrete and is fire proof. This is the south side of Hozomon with the two Nio statues. The north side has the famous giant sandals or waraji.

Asakusa 59

Which you can see in this photo as people enter.

Asakusa 29

Asakusa 31

Just a bit of two of the lanterns, the red paper chochin and one of the beautiful copper toro. There are three lanterns total. The chochin and a toro on each side of it.

Asakusa 30

One of the Nio that guards Senso-ji. This one is Aygo. Sadly my photo of the other, Ungyo, did not come out well. Low sun in December, and I think I was tired since this was close to the end of my trip. Plus wanting to see more than taking photos led to not the best this time. But I did get a few good ones of the rest of Senso-ji which I will post very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment