Tuesday, June 14, 2011

To get to Matsudo I had to go through Ueno...

Matsuda 5

When I was in Japan in December last year, I decided to check out a place that had no English directions to. It rather tested my skills, especially having to find the right tracks for the Joban Line at Ueno Station. But I did it and made it to the city of Matsudo in Chiba Prefecture.

Matsudo is bordered by the Edogawa River which is why I'm guessing the sewer cover is decorated the way it is.

Matsuda 9

While the only way I could have seen the Edogawa River was to climb a high embankment, there was this lovely waterway that I walked across.

Matsuda 7

This runs to the Edogawa.

Matsuda 10

Lights along the river.

Matsuda 11

It was interesting getting a little bit out of Tokyo. I didn't go far in Matsuda but I could tell it's a nice city where they take pride in things like education.

Matsuda 8

And creativity like this neat origami ocean at what looks like a library.

GSC 46

Since it was the Holidays there were a few decorations.

Matsuda 4

With a commercial flair at times. But that's not what I came to Matsudo for. Hoping to get to that in a day or two. It was worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I love those lanterns. Also, I love Japanese sewer covers. They have interesting ones like that in Otawara Tochigi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what you can find when out walking Toshogu. Are you familiar with the blog "More glimpses of unfamiliar Japan"? He has an excellent set of posts of various covers from all over Japan.

    ReplyDelete