Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Monday, April 4, 2011

The women who make Gion what it is

More from March, 2008.



Something tells me this is posted for the tourists...



Something else for the tourists, geisha tour. We did not participate but came across this group while out. At least I now know the board he is pointing to is a list of different classes and the names of the trainees written in chalk.



Ever want to be a geisha? Ads for a studio specializing in dressing people as geiko and maiko.





Not a maiko but someone's child made-up as one.



The secret if you wish to see maiko and geiko in Gion? As the sun sets, look for taxis. They wait for the ladies to take them to their appointments. I didn't know this, but figured it out the second night. However, after it gets dark, try not to look at the taxis. I will explain this later.



Maiko off to their appointments. The lady at the door is Mamehana.



Great photo of the back of their hair style, which indicates they are maiko, training to become geiko.



Geiko Mameshino and Mamechika. One way to tell is indicated by their hair styles and less ornate kimono and hair ornaments. Geiko wear less because they have reached a point of mastering their arts and thus do not need for ornamentation to supplement for less ability. No matter what, they are beautiful.

Posted in this week's Budget Trouble's Show Me Japan. It's a very nice round-up of different views of Japan. You can check it out here.

10 comments:

  1. that kid dressed up as a maiko is just creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics and post.
    I was lucky to spot two Maiko and one Geiko for my first night in Gion about a year ago and I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David and Tornadoes28. And yes A and Y Ikeda, it was a little strange that a mother would dress her daughter like that and take photos around Gion. But perhaps it's like how little girls in the US like to dress up as Disney Princesses? I'd like to think that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little girl is cute.

    There are two ways to look at how we would feel about the girl dressed up as maiko though. Cute and make for great photos. Or, from my perspective as a foreigner, a little girl dressed as someone training for the entertainment business?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great points Lina. I was also thinking that maybe they are tourists and they went to one of the places where they dress people up as Maiko for a day. It was right before all the big events in Gion and there were a lot of Japanese tourists staying there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite things to do in Kyoto is wander around looking for these ladies. I do think the little girl is adorable, but I see it just as a fun touristy thing. I can definitely see how it might be a bit weird since she's so young, but I prefer not to think about it that way. I did the make over myself the first time I went to Kyoto, and it was a really fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great that you tried that out superhappyawesome. I think because the woman with her has a camera it's the one thing that makes me believe they were doing the same thing. They had posed at a small Shinto shrine right before this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures. I'd love to go down there and see Gion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you jaydeejapan. I think Gion is worth seeing along with the rest of Kyoto. Especially early evening.

    ReplyDelete