Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Last look at Kyoto





The lovely people at the ryokan left us notes with little origami cranes. Mikey is impressed.

Speaking of the room at the ryokan, let me tell you a few things about it. It was a six tatami mat room, while small was not too bad. Nice it had a mini-fridge in it because B loves his milk tea so he could keep it cold. We slept on futons on the floor, and finally put one on top of the other. While in Kyoto we had a very nice lunch with some people and they were impressed that we were actually sleeping on futons. They were saying most Japanese don't use them either, they prefer western beds.

Each morning we would have a traditional breakfast in the dining room. Fish, miso soup, rice, and more. Very good. Sunday was extra special, raw quail egg in natto. I think B had one bite, I was brave and ate about 1/2 even though I regreted it a bit later XD
Other meals we ate out, including that wonderful lunch with local cuisine that I was told even they don't normally eat so don't feel bad if you don't want to eat it. I still tried everything, because I felt it was good manners and the food was good.

The ryokan did have two baths, one for men and one for women. They would switch rooms each day. B did try the men's bath one day. He really enjoyed it.

I was a little hesitant but it was okay because our room had a shower...

about 3 feet by 3 feet. Had to squeeze in the corner to shut the door. Unless someone was a toothpick, there is no way they could be comfortable in there. But I used it, at least had more water pressure than I do at home.

We also had something very special in the room

One of the best things about Japan is the number of places you would find these babies. I think it was in Parco 3 or Laforet the one there even had a disinfectant spray. I was so tempted to post a photo of the other type of toilet found in Japan, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. All I can say is even the Japanese people prefer the Western style of these (darn waiting in lines).

And now for the goodies!

I didn't get to do much shopping in Kyoto, sad to say. Besides the free fan from a guy at a liquor store (so needed because everywhere we went the rooms were too hot.) The lovely hankerchief and Hello Kitty pen were from Nijo Castle, and the chop stick rest I bought at the hotel in Narita. I have a few blue and white kitty rests, and being they are so hard to find it was nice to get this one.


So we packed our bags and headed off to Kyoto Train Station. Wish I had time to look around there but we wanted to get to our next destination.

I have to say I like the train stations, as crazy and confusing as some are. Lots of colorful shops and signs

Don't blame me for this one, B took the photo.


While this isn't the train we took


It's still very cool.

At the major train stations there are these small "stores" up on the platforms where you can buy reading material, drinks and food. Suntory likes to offer little items with their bottled teas.

Glass bead charms, painted in special colors. I ended up with two, wanted more but I guess the promotion was over.


And of course we needed something to eat on the ride back. So what's inside?


Ummmm, train bento! From what I can remember, two kinds of rice, tamago (omelet), fish, pickled something, veggies and fish cake. And red bean mochi wrapped up in the leaf. Good food!

So off we went to our next destination....

Tokyo! (actually, I am not sure what station this is, but it's one in Tokyo...might be Shibuya)

From March 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment