Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kyoto in March, 2008

Afternoon of 3/22 after we checked into our room and decided we must go out. B had stated he wanted to see shrines and stuff. Well, seems we were just around the corner from one.



This is Yasaka Shrine, originally called Gion Shrine. Once you go up the stairs through the Ro-Mon (gate)...



many people were there. Seems March is a month of celebrations there.





However you have to get by this guy to get in. One of the Shishi statues.



We weren't sure what was inside, turns out there were food and other vendors around the grounds.





We kept walking since we were there to do some sight seeing. Funny that if now I went to a shrine with a festival going on I would definitely check out what is being sold and the food.







So just wander with us as we looked at the lovely things there...













































for more information about Yasaka Shrine, started in 656,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasaka_Shrine
http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/org/yasaka/english/index.html
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/japan/kyoto-yasaka-shrine.htm

From my trip back in 2008. Previously posted elsewhere but putting them here for back-up plus I think it will go with what I will be posting soon.

Putting this up in this week's Show Me Japan.
ありがとう

4 comments:

  1. I never get tired of Kyoto! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get back to Kyoto one day. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you A and Y Ikeda and A and Y Ikeda. Yes I want to get back to Kyoto too. It's a very special place.

    ReplyDelete