Monday, August 30, 2010

I wasn't expecting this

I've been dying to shoot wide angle for the longest time and so I finally bit the bullet. And it arrived today and even though I was feeling poorly (damn three day migraine headaches) I thought I could at least handle a drive to Palos Verdes and walking to the edge of the road to get a bit of fresh air and get use to the new lens.

Little did I know I was going to experience something I've wanted to see pretty much all my life...

whale spouts 6

I'd heard one could see a few whales off of PV now and again. But at least 50 of them?

dolphins and whale spouts 2

Upper left is a dissipating whale spout, lower right is a couple of many dolphins. From what I have found out they are Blue Whales off our coast right now.

dolphins and whale spouts

We watched for a couple hours. At one point dolphins came in very close. Overall we saw at least five distinct groups of whales, each probably had at least ten whales in them. The one directly west of us we counted the spouts and could tell there were around ten whales. Some were smaller. The larger ones would spout and surface first and last. Amazing to see their tails breech. I wish I could have taken a photo of that.

whale spouts

Whale spouts right off of Point Vicente.

Local article about the blue whales here http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_15944168

1 comment: