Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shiro Miso Soup with Daikon

Here we go with number six!

miso daikon

I thought I'd write a little as to what goes into this soup.  For this one I started with some water and added a piece of kombu.  Kombu is a dried sea vegetable or sea weed.  It adds that extra taste, that umami.  I sprinkle in dried bonita flakes.  Bonita is a fish which is smoked and dried.  It comes in different forms, which you can get whole pieces or already shaved into flakes.

After that simmers for a time (you can smell the changes that occur), I strain out the kombu and bonita.  This is now dashi.  There are lots of recipes on the internet for dashi.  To be honest, I don't even measure any more.  I have an idea as to how much to put in.  That's why I don't have recipes here.

So above is fresh daikon sliced and simmering in dashi.  Daikon is a type of radish but is much bigger than the red and white ones normally found in American gardens.  As you can see, it becomes translucent as it cooks.  I think it looks pretty nice!

miso daikon3

So I use most of the dashi to cook whatever I am adding to the soup, unless there is something that needs to be cooked separately.  The rest I heat separately and mix in whatever miso I am using.  I do this to taste, remembering it will thin a little when added to the main pot.  So the dashi is heated and I add in miso and stir.  This lets the miso dissolve so you don't have clumps of it at the bottom of your soup!

Once this is done you can pour it into the main pot of dashi, once that is cooked.  I wait till everything is almost cooked before making the miso mix.

miso daikon5

All that is left is to ladle it into bowls and eat! 

I have to say I am really growing found of shiro miso.  I love the creamy taste it adds to miso soup.  This with the nice fresh daikon was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment