Misadventures with Miso

Misadventures with Miso

Friday, February 5, 2010

Miso Soup (miso shiru) #2!

I have not forgotten, just had real life kick in. Boo that but now I'm back to post what was Miso Soup #2!

Yes, I am still going to see how many different types of Miso Soup I can make this year. With the cold weather it feels even more appropriate. I will be making both vegetarian and non-vegetarian types because it is so versatile.

So Miso Soup #2 was with salted salmon. I had a little bit of this salmon which I find hard to eat since it is so salty. Decided to see how it tasted in this version of the soup. Salted salmon is also known as Shiozake. The basic ingredients are the salmon, tofu and dashi with white (shiro) miso.

miso salted 1

I took this photo because once the broth is in the bowl you can't see the salmon. This time I make dashi, which is water, konbu (dried sea vegetable) and bonito flakes. You can make dashi without the bonito but since there was salmon I thought a little bonito would compliment the flavor. Dashi can also be made with shitake mushrooms or with niboshi which is dried baby sardines. I haven't tried making that one yet.

miso salted 2

Added to this are tofu and the miso. I used the Premimum White miso, that was in the first miso soup I posted, with a basic White (shiro) miso. This gave it a bit more salt but not too much. I think this turned out rather well, the salmon was less salty tasting, and would try making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment